504 Information



Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 


The following is a description of the rights granted by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (“Section 504”) to parents and their children who are identified as disabled. The school district is responsible to inform you of decisions about your child and of your rights if you disagree with any of those decisions.

You have the following rights:


  1. To have your child take part in, and receive benefits from, public

    education programs without discrimination because of his/her disability

  2. To have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law
  3. To receive notice from the school with respect to the identification, evaluation, educational program or placement of your child
  4. According to the Department of Education’s 504 Regulations, to have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate.  It also includes the right to reasonable accommodations, modifications, and related aids and services necessary for your child to benefit from his or her educational program.
  5. To have your child educated in comparable facilities and receive comparable services to those provided non-disabled students
  6. To have decisions regarding your child’s evaluation, program and placement based upon a variety of information sources, and made by persons familiar with the student, the evaluation data, and the placement options
  7. To have your child re-evaluated periodically, to the extent necessary, including before any significant changes are made to your child's educational program or placement
  8. To have your child receive an equal opportunity to participate in extra-curricular school activities
  9. To examine all relevant educational records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, education program, and placement
  10. To obtain copes of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records
  11. To receive a response from the school district to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's records
  12. To request amendment of your child's educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school district refuses this request for amendment, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of the right to a hearing
  13. To file a grievance through local grievance procedures regarding any alleged violation of the Rehabilitation Act
  14. To request an impartial hearing, to be conducted by a person who is not an employee of the district, to dispute decisions or actions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program or placement as a student with a disability. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you at your own expense. Questions about how to request a hearing may be forwarded to the person responsible for the district’s compliance with Section 504 listed below.  Maine's Department of Education does not have the authority to monitor or investigate complaints about Section 504.  Section 504 is enforced by the U.S. Office of Civil Rights             


The person responsible for the district's compliance with Section 504 is:                                                                              

Sharon Pray

Director of Student Support Services

353 Cumberland Avenue

Portland, ME 04101

(207) 874-813